To provide services to different clients and target groups, the Centre of Excellence will:
- Develop and implement a coherent regional RE&EE policy framework for the EAC and facilitate its implementation on national levels.
- Develop and execute regional programs and projects in cooperation with GEF, other partners and mobilize funding; create synergies with ongoing programs (e.g. GIZ, Energy and Environment Partnership in Southern and Eastern Africa, WB, AfDB, UN, EU).
- Operate as a key entry point for the implementation of international funding to mitigate climate change in the energy sector.
- Provide co-funding for demand-driven programs and projects executed by the private and public sector or civil society in the region (e.g. call for proposals and tenders).
- Provide a framework for capacity building activities and strengthens networks between research and training institutions as well as organize train-the-trainers workshops.
- Update and provide RE&EE information and data for investors.
- Act as think tank, lobbying agent and advisory platform for RE&EE in East Africa.
- Promote networking and co-organization of conferences, forums and workshops and facilitate North-South and South-South cooperation for knowledge and technology transfer.